Drama Therapy Certificate Program Requirements for Applicants
We seek applicants who will do well in experientially-oriented academic courses and hold the promise of excelling as embodied arts therapists. We are looking for spiritually-minded individuals who can learn and grow in a class setting. Applicants can be distance learners who come on selected weekends and intensives of 6-9 days three times within the scope of the program. We have a rolling admissions policy. In addition to graduate enrollment or a master's degree, we look for emotional maturity, experience and a dedication to serving.
The alternative training program was created as a process for providing a means for individuals to satisfy the educational requirements for the RDT (Registered Drama Therapist) other than going to an NADT University Program. The alternative training curriculum addresses the educational components for registry. There are other requirements for RDT application. Thus the curriculum is in addition to the following registry requirements:
- Completion of a Masters Degree
- 800 Hour Drama Therapy Internship
- The completion of 500 Hours in Theater Experience
- 500 Hours of further Psychotherapy Training (one graduate course= 135 hours*)
- A minimum of 1000 Hours of Paid or Volunteer Drama Therapy work within a minimum of one year of work post graduate curricular training**
*100 hours of therapy in the last 5 years can be included.
**The National Association for Drama Therapy updates their requirements periodically. Students will be informed of the changes as part of their student membership in the Association.
Prior Life Experience Credit
Credit for prior experience in academic education, workshops, internships and work is given if it meets the Alternate Route Training guidelines. Prior experience, education and training may be credited toward the alternative tract requirements but not the 300-800 hour internship requirement via:
- Prior graduate and 300 to 400 level psychology academic coursework
- Prior institute training and workshops
- Prior teaching experience
- Prior life experience